Please note that you are using a very low screen resolution, which may compromise your ability to use this website. The minimum screen resolution this website is designed for is 800x600. A resolution of at least 1024x768 is recommended for optimal viewing.
RWS Cheetham Award in Psychiatry
Adopted by Senate in October 1995
- The R W S Cheetham Award consists of a medal and a certificate.
- The award is made annually (in respect of a calendar year) by the Senate of The Colleges of Medicine of South Africa (CMSA) for a published essay of sufficient merit on trans- or cross-cultural psychiatry, which may include a research or review article..
- The paper must have appeared in the South African Journal of Psychiatry (part of the South African Medical Journal) or the SAMJ proper, or other internationally recognised journal, during the calendar year specified in the advertisement inviting applications.
- The applicant must submit three reprints to:
The Colleges of Medicine of South Africa(CMSA)5 Claribel Road
Telephone: +27 31 261 8213 or +27 31 261 8518
Fax: +27 31 261 3784
Email Addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Where the paper has had more than one author, the application for the award must be accompanied by a letter from the co-authors indicating the extent to which the applicant was involved in the work on which the essay is based.
- The award is restricted to medical practitioners registered and practising in South Africa.
- The Selection Committee consists of three members of the College of Psychiatrists (CMSA), appointed by the Chairperson.
- The Selection Committee has the discretion to decide whether any person shall be recommended for the award on more than one occasion.
- Members of the Selection Committee of the College of Psychiatrists are not eligible for the award.
- If in any year, the Selection Committee does not consider any of the papers submitted to be of sufficient merit, no award will be made.
- The decision of the Selection Committee in connection with the making of the award is ratified by the Council of the CMSA.
- The closing date for applications is 15 January of the following year, to give applicants sufficient time to submit articles which were published late in the year for which the award is made.
- The medal is presented by the President of the College of Psychiatrists (CMSA) or his/her nominee, at a suitable gathering of Psychiatrists, e.g. a National Congress.
and revised in January 1999 and
October 1999 to effect nomenclature
Images attached to the RWS Cheetham Award in Psychiatry
Documents attached to the RWS Cheetham Award in Psychiatry